I was not as active as I would have liked in my first placement, and I was definitely not as prepared as I should have been. And I'm absolutely going to have to change that.
This semester (starting in August) I have a high school placement, which I am both excited and nervous for. I emailed my mentor as soon as I got my notification and she emailed me back the next day, which I'm going to take as a good sign. We're going to meet up later in the summer to get to know one another and 'start making plans', which is super exciting. I offered to help her get the classroom ready, but hopefully she'll let me look at some of the lessons for the first couple weeks of school as well.
I have some goals for my placement that will begin with prep work over the summer. (Lots of Pinterest. Lots.)
Establish contact with mentor(done!)Find out specific subject and grade level(also done!)- Look through Methods I notes and resources to find anything reuseable
- Look through TPT/Pinterest/etc to find some resources specific to the class level
- Create a list of potential projects/tasks that I can complete during the semester or before it starts
- Meet with mentor before school starts with my handy dandy list and designate a specific schedule for my hours
- Help set up classroom (ideally I would love to be able to help design a bulletin board and/or introduction assignments)
- Attend the first day of school (and hopefully back-to-school night)!
- Have a regular function in the class. Last semester I spent most of my time walking around among the kids, answering questions, reading with them, and editing their work. This semester I would really love to have something that I'm primarily in charge of. (As an example, if I come in on Thursdays, that's the day we have book discussions/personal writing assignments/spelling exercises, so I would consistently lead those activities.)
No comments:
Post a Comment